Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GoDaddy is having problems
The site is not running correctly due to GoDaddy server configuration problems they have to fix.
Más vale pocos pelos, pero bien peinados.
After extensive analysis of the performance provided by GoDaddy as a hosting site I have come to the brilliant conclusion that ... GoDaddy sucks.

To elaborate a little more, I believe they purposely cause the performance of their lower-priced products to be erratic to get you to .... spring for a higher-priced one. But even those don't work for some of the more specialized services, like custom database access, programming, etc.

So it's a vanilla host, that tries to make money in the volume market, while offering little to no value to the small business.
If you know your away around the command line or are not scared to learn, try: http://www.digitalocean.com

For $5 a month, you get a VPS on SSD with full root access.

Quote:To elaborate a little more, I believe they purposely cause the performance of their lower-priced products to be erratic to get you to .... spring for a higher-priced one. But even those don't work for some of the more specialized services, like custom database access, programming, etc.

I unblocked you if you can be civil...

GoDaddy limits your database queries which can cripple a forum/blog/cms. You don't need a higher priced one. In fact, you can pay less and get more. See my suggestion above. The provider also has the most thorough QA forums I've seen.
“How, unless you drink as I do, could you hope to understand the beauty of an old Indian woman playing dominoes with a chicken?” -- Malcolm Lowry, Under the Volcano
Use them for "hosting" one site ... but I don't watch it ... it's just there

Agree on the low balling .... its the American Way

Host your own via your server??
Suicide Hot line, Pete here, please hold
(10-15-2013, 11:07 PM)tlalocs Wrote: If you know your away around the command line or are not scared to learn, try: http://www.digitalocean.com

I took a look at digitalocean. I don't see any advantage. For $5 per month you get 512K of RAM and 100GB of bandwidth. I pay about the same to host with GoDaddy and the bandwidth is unlimited. This forum alone uses about 1.75MB of RAM and I have another database and Wordpress installation for the Fulano Blog that is using more resources, all for $5 a month. GoDaddy has its problems, but all the hosting companies do. They all market the same product, you don't get your own server, just a virtual server in the cloud. It all comes down to how they balance their loads and how good their technicians are in not screwing things up.

I would love to get my own server in my closet and be done with hosting companies. But the problem is you would need a commercial internet account to handle the bandwidth, and they are costly. The regular ISP accounts you get as a residential customer of the main providers, like Cox, AT&T, etc. all block outgoing traffic on port 80 so people can't run home internet servers and suck up their bandwidth.
Más vale pocos pelos, pero bien peinados.
Forgot about that, had T1 which was kinda expensive ... and ran two name servers (G5's at the time) ... but, it was work, not play .... so I do understand completely ... big cost for what ...

It works swell for me .... Big GrinBig Grin
(10-16-2013, 12:20 PM)Fulano Wrote:
(10-15-2013, 11:07 PM)tlalocs Wrote: If you know your away around the command line or are not scared to learn, try: http://www.digitalocean.com

I took a look at digitalocean. I don't see any advantage. For $5 per month you get 512K of RAM and 100GB of bandwidth. I pay about the same to host with GoDaddy and the bandwidth is unlimited. This forum alone uses about 1.75MB of RAM and I have another database and Wordpress installation for the Fulano Blog that is using more resources, all for $5 a month. GoDaddy has its problems, but all the hosting companies do. They all market the same product, you don't get your own server, just a virtual server in the cloud. It all comes down to how they balance their loads and how good their technicians are in not screwing things up.

I would love to get my own server in my closet and be done with hosting companies. But the problem is you would need a commercial internet account to handle the bandwidth, and they are costly. The regular ISP accounts you get as a residential customer of the main providers, like Cox, AT&T, etc. all block outgoing traffic on port 80 so people can't run home internet servers and suck up their bandwidth.

Hi Fulano, are you sure you read that correctly? For $5 you get 512 MB (1000x more) of memory and 1 TB (10x more) of transfer. With an SSD, your performance is top-notch. Your database queries will be lightening fast. You could essentially run both of your sites on one "droplet" without making a dent in your resources.

That blows the shit out of your Godaddy plan. The only package GoDaddy has that's even remotely similar is over $30 a month and only gives two choices of OS and doesn't come on a SSD.

Wtih DO, You get to pick your favorite blend of *nix. For an OS, I would recommend Ubuntu. Digitalocean also has superior customer support and community.
“How, unless you drink as I do, could you hope to understand the beauty of an old Indian woman playing dominoes with a chicken?” -- Malcolm Lowry, Under the Volcano
Thanks for the info ... it all helps ...
(10-17-2013, 08:03 PM)wessongroup Wrote: Thanks for the info ... it all helps ...

de nada... In an ideal world, we could all run our own web servers from our closets.