Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
American tourist killed by falling beam in Cancún
[Image: pol1.jpg]

Una turista de origen americano perdió la vida en éste polo turístico la noche del jueves, luego que le cayó una columna de concreto en el condominio donde se encontraba hospedada, ubicado en el hotel La Amada.

La ahora occisa fue identificada como Lauren Dufresne Paige, de 25 años de edad, originaria de los Estados Unidos, de acuerdo a los datos que proporcionó a la autoridad su pareja sentimental Humberto Cipola, de 42 años.

El hecho ocurrió cerca de las 23:30 horas del jueves, cuando la víctima se encontraba parada debajo de las columnas de concreto de los condominios “La Cariñosa” perteneciente al hotel La Amada ubicado al final del camino de Punta Sam.

Repentinamente, la columna que estaba arriba de ella, se desprendió y le cayó en la cabeza y parte del cuerpo que la hizo caer semiinconsciente y con una hemorragia craneal. Un médico del hotel llegó auxiliarla, pero debido a la gravedad y que su vida estaba en peligro, solicitaron el servicio de una ambulancia particular para llevarla a un centro médico, siendo una unidad de la empresa Life que la trasladó a la clínica Hospiten ubicada atrás de plaza Las Américas, donde para entonces la turista no tenía signos de vida debido a las diversas fracturas que sufrió.

Link to article in Spanish.

An American tourist died at this tourist resort Thursday night after a concrete column in the condominium located at hotel La Amada where she was staying fell on her.

The deceased was identified as Lauren Paige Dufresne, 25 years old, originally from the United States, according to the information provided to the authorities by her boyfriend, Humberto Cipola, 42 years old.

The event occurred around 11:30PM Thursday, when the victim was standing under the concrete columns in the "La Cariñosa" condominiums that are a part o fthe hotel La Amada located at the end of camino Punta Sam.

Suddenly, the column that was above here, broke off and fell on her head and apart of her body, causing her to fall semi-conscious and with a bleeding head. A doctor from the hotel arrived to give aid, but due to the seriousness and because her life was in danger, a private ambulance was called to take her to a medical center. It was a unit from the Life ambulance service which took her to the Hospiten clinic located behind plaza Las Americas. It was there it was found the tourist had no life signs due to the several fractures she suffered.
Más vale pocos pelos, pero bien peinados.
That structure looks perfectly safe to walk under. We have been conducting research on Mexican Construction, codes used and inspections of construction sites by vetted inspectors and all this leads me to believe that design of concrete beams sticking out sixteen feet, with no apparent support, is within the limits of current codes.

I tell ya, it is a one in a octodecillion chance of happening.

Follow me on twitter
https://twitter.com/Koughan
Actually, I enlarged the photo and those "beams" just are nonstructural decorations. They are hollow rectangles made from drywall and screwed into the concrete slab above them.
Hard to believe they used cement beams for decoration instead of wood. But if they are hollow tubes made of drywall- that explains why she lived long enough to get to a hospital to die. The weight of 100% cement would have been instantly fatal.
BajaNoMas= News, Facts, Stats, Videos, Pics and Links- because presenting the truth to the public is not a negative campaign "Decir la verdad no es ninguna campaña negra".
(12-02-2012, 11:43 AM)Fulano Wrote: Actually, I enlarged the photo and those "beams" just are nonstructural decorations. They are hollow rectangles made from drywall and screwed into the concrete slab above them.

I have a feeling it wasn't exterior drywall as used in Estados Unidos. Here they usually use DensGlass covered with concreto and then stuccoed. That would make it maybe 4 times the weight of a drywall over metal stud beam which apparently makes it a very heavy lethal beam.

I do feel bad for the person but the focus is on the Mexican construction.

Follow me on twitter
https://twitter.com/Koughan
This was Lauren's last stop in Mexico:

[Image: sbu3p1.png]
Code enforcement, now THERE is a topic in Mexico ---

It certainly wouldn't have been an immediate concern -- but, then a "picture" isn't the real thing --- just saying
Suicide Hot line, Pete here, please hold
(12-04-2012, 03:44 PM)Fulano Wrote: This was Lauren's last stop in Mexico:

[Image: sbu3p1.png]

DONT EVER DISRESPECT THIS CHILD AGAIN YOU LOOSER AND COWARD..WHY SHOW YOU PHOTO YOU BEANER!
(07-26-2013, 01:23 PM)hank Wrote: DONT EVER DISRESPECT THIS CHILD AGAIN YOU LOOSER AND COWARD..WHY SHOW YOU PHOTO YOU BEANER!

Damn! How did you find out Fulano was a beaner? Who told you?