Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
American unhappy with hospital bill in Cabo San Lucas
American tourist Philip Trujillo expressed his great displeasure at a large hospital bill for a 24-hour stay at the Centro Médico de Cabo San Lucas. The bill was for 108,523.08 pesos ($9,000) and the hospital would not let him leave until he paid the bill.

It happened like this: Philip Trujillo ate some tacos for dinner and immediately suffered from food poisoning. He was admitted to the hospital for a stomach pumping. However, the doctors at the hospital diagnosed he was having a pre-heart attack, and claim they did several costly medical tests and kept him in intensive care all night. The reason for their diagnosis was that the patient exhibited pain in the chest and not in the stomach.

Link to article in Spanish.

[Image: e4fc559b-6b7a-4019-9c87-fffd3e436a6b.jpg]
Más vale pocos pelos, pero bien peinados.
The ripoffs are across the board now and even the medical profession is getting in on the action. I love the fact that they will not let you leave and threaten jail if you do not pay the extortion. What they must think of us as a people to try this shit on all the time. Can you imagine this happening in the states. Hell no, although I would love to see it pulled on one of the deadbeat illegals who are forever stealing from our hospitals there. What a fucking ripoff scumbag country Mexico is.
A (REALLY) LITTLE tiny LEBANESE PRICK PRETENDING HE IS A MEXICAN SPIC...Thats our Jihad e Salman shrimp Dodgy
One of the other newspapers that reported this story said they think the victim showed indications of the heart attack AFTER they showed him the bill. Smile

Lo cierto es que por poco y le provocan el infarto al momento de pasarle la factura. Cerca de 110 mil pesos por una atención que no duró 24 horas realmente sí es un abuso médico, lo cual desgraciadamente refuerza la fama de que en México, como en otros países, al turista extranjero se le alzan los costos, se trata de no darle alternativas ni información oportuna o real, con toda la intención de sacarle el máximo dinero posible.

What is certain is that what provoked the heart attack was the moment they showed him the hospital bill. Almost 110,000 pesos for less than 24 hours of medical attention is really medical abuse, which unfortunately reinforces the image that in Mexico, as in other countries, prices are raised for tourists, they do not offer alternatives nor real or timely information, with every intention of making the most money possible.

http://www.impre.com/la-gente-dice/viewA...4978869157
This has been going on for years and is nothing new.

Food poisoning is not crippling and you do not loose consciousnous. So, you have the choice to be admitted or not and you can leave. You can also get an estimate before you commit to staying.

There are many good clinics in Los Cabos: Medica Los Cabos, Blue Net, and Amerimed among others and these places do not overcharge. Yes, there are a few clinics in Los Cabos that are dishonest, but they are by far in the minority. This could happen anywhere and there are dishonest people in EVERY country.
(09-02-2011, 09:50 AM)Elcardon Wrote: This has been going on for years and is nothing new.

Food poisoning is not crippling and you do not loose consciousnous. So, you have the choice to be admitted or not and you can leave. You can also get an estimate before you commit to staying.

There are many good clinics in Los Cabos: Medica Los Cabos, Blue Net, and Amerimed among others and these places do not overcharge. Yes, there are a few clinics in Los Cabos that are dishonest, but they are by far in the minority. This could happen anywhere and there are dishonest people in EVERY country.

HAha, the Nomad mantra. When is the last time you were extorted in an American Hospital under threat of imprisonment? Or from the Cops for that matter. Mexicans are out for a quick buck, and when they see the gringo, their eyes cross in the form of a dollar sign. You enjoy your version of Mexico, and when the bite comes, we will be here waiting to report your tale of woe.

(09-02-2011, 09:50 AM)Elcardon Wrote: Food poisoning is not crippling and you do not loose consciousnous. You can also get an estimate before you commit to staying.

There are over 10 different agents that cause food poisoning. Each year in the US at least 128,000 Americans are hospitalized, and 3,000 die after eating contaminated food. I would not follow Elcardon's advice. People in total distress rarely stop to get an estimate. The man was in intensive care.

Even Jaime Camacho, the Los Cabos director of tourism said this was a problem: http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/...210991.htm
(09-02-2011, 10:13 AM)DavidK Wrote:
(09-02-2011, 09:50 AM)Elcardon Wrote: This has been going on for years and is nothing new.

HAha, the Nomad mantra. When is the last time you were extorted in an American Hospital under threat of imprisonment? Or from the Cops for that matter. Mexicans are out for a quick buck, and when they see the gringo, their eyes cross in the form of a dollar sign. You enjoy your version of Mexico, and when the bite comes, we will be here waiting to report your tale of woe.

I once almost died from food poisoning. I know someone who actually did die from food poisoning.
I never said it wasn't a problem, simply that there are plenty of good reputable hospitals. You can find information on the internet about the issue just as Fulano did - before travelling. You should never travel without knowing where you would go in case of an emergency.

On the other hand, I did have the experience of assisting a woman in CSL who was taken by an ambulance to a hospital that I would not have recomended - she was checked in at the airport and began to feel ill - then whisked off to a rustic little clinic. I was asked to go help and I did get an estimate for her - she stayed at the same clinic and was released that evening after her FOOD POISONING episode.
I make sure to have medical insurance before I go down so representatives can come to the hospital and sort out the details while I get the fuck out of there. I don’t think insurance companies will tolerate rip-offs and will make the hospital prove each and every item on the bill.
Elinvestig8r says that on June 8, 2013, Jay Salman who posts on Baja Nomad Off-Topic as JoeJustJoe was too frightened to open his front door after inviting me for coffee. On 1/5/2016, Jihad answered my two questions for legal purposes. Are you inviting me to come over to your house for coffee? And, are you saying I can turn the doorknob of your front door and just walk into your house without knocking first? After he said I could, I went over in the pouring rain and he was again too scared to unlock the door. Needless to say I did not get to have my cup of coffee.