Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ship With 42 Tourists Sinks Near San Felipe
If any friends or family member of the Victims of the event are reading this, you need to contact. Dan, Lizardlips on Bajanomad. he is the only Baja PI that will be able to get you any real answers.Angry

If they had life vests on, they would still be floating on top -- even if they were dead -- and picked up by the search crews. I doubt the missing had life vests on.
Más vale pocos pelos, pero bien peinados.
All the crew members managed to get a life jacket on?

I wonder what the pre sail safety meeting was like?

The initial report was that it was off Pta Bufeo. I have fished the area many times, there is a reef that runs between the Pta, and the Island. It is very shallow at low tide, often with a ripping current.

Someone else said the survivors ended up on Isla Willard. It is doubtful anyone could walk to civilization from the tip there. You have to go up and over the top of the island, and at night there would be no way.

I find it very hard to believe that a wave, that close to shore, could swamp a boat of that size.

It will be very interesting to hear the survivors accounts.

If they lost 8 this trip, that will make and even 10 for the last decade.

Here's a translation by Fulano of one of the Erik's crew's story in AFN:

His premonition came true...

Jesús Alfredo Sosa Ceseña worked from age 12 on the fishing boats, packing ice on the fish and helping the crew attend to the passengers. He said that one time he had dreamed that the boat he was in was sinking, and because of that he would someday buy a a life jacket, but never managed to buy one, because the reality hit him first, and even though he could not swim, he ended up safe after the accident in the early morning hours of Sunday.

"Chuyito" was part of the crew of the boat "Erik," a vessel engaged in tours, mainly for fishing. This tour had 17 crew members and 27 tourists on board.

The trips were always a week. Sailing from San Felipe on Saturday and returning on Thursday. It has always been like that. But this time, it was after a few hours at sea when one of the crew told "Chuyito" best put on a life jacket because the wind was very strong.

"He told me put it on, because this mother is sinking. The pangas were filling with water, in a matter of seconds water entered the engine room, and suddenly, the boat flipped," he said.

"What I did was grab the pipes leading to the rafts and got into one. The captain asked, 'where is Chuyito, ' and I said, I'm here. Two or three crew members, guides, and four or five passengers."

The shipwrecked crew member said he spent 17 hours until they were rescued by the Navy. He said yes, he was scared, but that the "gringos" were more hysterical.

"They were really shouting, many of them did not have life jackets. I did because I was awake when the ship sank. I had dreamed something like this would happen, that the ship I was aboard would sink and I said to myself, I'm going to buy a good life jacket. I can not swim. "

His family was worried, but he said he was in perfect condition and even joked about the situation, but the sea was his life and will not leave it for anything.

Link to AFN article in Spanish.

[Fulano's comment: Over on BajaNomad, the geniuses are very focused on the condition of the boat that sank. This has almost nothing to do with the problem. The problem is the training and competence of the captain and crew. The crew put on life jackets due to the heavy seas, but did not awake the passengers to have them put on jackets. Why were the pangas on the deck left rightside up so they could fill with water and make the boat top heavy? Why was the captain and the crew not on watch for waves? Why was the Erik anchored in those seas? It should have been underway and headed directly into the wind to ride out the storm. If the boat is not underway, it cannot steer the bow into the prevailing seas. Why was it so close to shore in a shallow area where there would be a ground swell?

When one understands the answers to these questions, one begins to understand the land of mediocrity -- Mexico, where competence is rarely found.]

The Mexicans have as much as murdered these americans and should be held accountable. Once again the Mexicans prove their hatred for gringos and saved themselves before the passengers. Dirty murderous wetbacks.
I got somethin for what itches ya
There would not be enough life jackets for the crew If they were to wake the gringo's.

Fu, how do you know they were anchored? That was my guess though.

(07-05-2011, 09:05 AM)DavidK Wrote: There would not be enough life jackets for the crew If they were to wake the gringo's.
Fu, how do you know they were anchored? That was my guess though.
I read somewhere that they were at their intended destination. It was 2:30AM on a moonless night, and they were off Isla San Luis, only 2 miles from shore. Not very likely they were making way.

By the way, the local San Felipe news blog says the authorities have concluded they cannot find the missing people because they went down with the boat and they are going to start underwater salvage operations. It lies in 60 meters of water. Also the Erik's crew have been ordered by the authorities to shut up and not talk to the press or anyone, and they threatened to pull their seamen's cards if they talk.

Link to Spanish article.

Oh Hell yeah, they are going to try and cover up what really happened. Then they are going to try and make the crew look like hero's.

Did anybody know that another tourist charter boat sank 44 kilometers off Cabo San Lucas about 3 weeks ago? It was the "Manta Expeditions", a tourist charter that went down at the Gorda Banks. The Mexican navy had to rescue 11 people. 7 Mexicans, 2 Americans an Italian and an Australian.
(07-05-2011, 10:09 AM)DavidK Wrote: Oh Hell yeah, they are going to try and cover up what really happened. Then they are going to try and make the crew look like hero's.
Do you ware your 99cent store water-wings when wadding at shell sandbar?

[Image: 825adfcd3851dcd9b80a2e7de4f29440.gif]
Henry Thomas Guichard