Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coast Guard: 3 dead, 1 missing in mishap during yacht race off Calif., Mexico coasts
Deep water in between points 49 and 50. Was point 50 the Aegeana debris washed-up on the island?
BajaNoMas= News, Facts, Stats, Videos, Pics and Links- because presenting the truth to the public is not a negative campaign "Decir la verdad no es ninguna campaña negra".
(05-02-2012, 02:18 PM)Woooosh Wrote: Deep water in between points 49 and 50. Was point 50 the Aegeana debris washed-up on the island?

No, it's the last GPS ping sent from the Aegean.
Más vale pocos pelos, pero bien peinados.
(05-02-2012, 02:36 PM)Fulano Wrote:
(05-02-2012, 02:18 PM)Woooosh Wrote: Deep water in between points 49 and 50. Was point 50 the Aegeana debris washed-up on the island?

No, it's the last GPS ping sent from the Aegean.

Fulano, that is what the wake would look like if even under just the main sail. You would see a steady stream of water coming out the stern if the motor was engaged. The angle the picture is taken from is what make the wake on the other boat look like it is not there. Some of the boats in the picture don't even have their main up.
The wind was blowing hard that day, I know, I sailed every day from thursday to sunday last week. Not much of a swell though, and some of the indicators don't seem to add up, like the debris field. However, wave action and time until discovery could very much play a factor. The straight line to the island says a lot. When on auto my boat tracks the same. Regardless of what actually happened, someone screwed up.

Must of been nobody on watch then. Even with a pitch black night, you could see that island, as the entire baja shoreline is lit up with houses and the island would be a big black hole where there were no lights.
(05-02-2012, 04:11 PM)Fulano Wrote: Must of been nobody on watch then. Even with a pitch black night, you could see that island, as the entire baja shoreline is lit up with houses and the island would be a big black hole where there were no lights.

That was my feeling all along. The watchman fell asleep. The water drops right down to hundreds of feet just off shore of that point. By the time any alarms kicked in, it would have been too late. And.....

They may have had their motor running to make up some time? I don't know, but that would explain the small pieces they found. Can you imagine an out of control motor with parts breaking off all around it. It would be like a blender.

They must have been terrified no matter what really happened.

Sorry, Fulano, you are not correct. I speak from experience. Coronado del Norte can be pretty much invisible. Just as I said in my previous post. When I hear a story of a boat, an accident, night run and Islas Coronado, I immediately get suspicious. That spot is DANGEROUS. Many times, with all the electronics, and knowing exactly where I was and the island is, I would look out and not be able to see it two miles out.

So much so, that this is not the first time this has happened, and boats have run into Pukey Point before. If you know it's there, and you are paying attention, it's not hard to avoid. If you are not so sure of the exact location and, more importantly yours in relation, things can get dicey real fast. Especially under sail. I'm not sure you realize how far off the shore that spot is. The shore lights are not really a factor. That is precisely the reason why I would always plot a course that would take me at least five miles off the point. On nights when we had to run 10+ hours to the grounds, I would always be at the helm until many miles from there. Then, and only then, would I go down below and leave someone else at the helm. And this is with Radar, GPS and Autopilot. Belt AND suspenders.

And yes, Tom, you are correct. The water is deep RIGHT UP to the point. A depth sounder will not get you out of this one. Radar, GPS, and close attention.
On your course to the fishing grounds, you would not have the land lights behind the island. Your course would have been southwest, away from land. Take a look at the GPS track of the Aegean:

[Image: 33cyb1f.png]

It's course was southeast, 90 degrees from your course, and the Baja coast is directly behind the island from that approach angle. A person on watch would see the silhouette of the island against the background land lights. And I know the shore is visible from there. The north island is 10 miles offshore, and if you can see the island from shore, a boat can see the shore from the island.

[Image: Coronados.jpg]

To summarize, one would not see the island on a dark night, but would see a dark space with no lights where the island blocked the lights from shore.
Fulano, Is that you with N. Coronado in the background? Nice.

First, I know the Hunter 38. Theo Mavromatis, 49, of Redondo Beach, Calif. Still missing? WTF. I hope his business was doing as well as his boat would suggest.

Ok. So fulano, can I interpret your postings to mean you've been in that situation, or is yours a theory? Cause, dude, you are way wrong on this one. Trust me. Been there, done that, beats theory every time.

At the end of the day, it adds up to the same thing. People are dead because someone wasn't paying attention, or was incompetent.
[Image: 34jekvo.png]