Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Private Threads Possible?
Question 
Fulano,

I was going to recommend a thread for sharing photos or other copyrightable content.

Knowing David Kier and others frequently steal others work, is it possible to create private threads that are viewable by invitation only?

(04-06-2012, 01:18 PM)paperthin Wrote: Fulano,

I was going to recommend a thread for sharing photos or other copyrightable content.

Knowing David Kier and others frequently steal others work, is it possible to create private threads that are viewable by invitation only?

Well, it's possible. But I see no reason to do it. If somebody posts something they think may be a copyright violation, I do not want to be a part of it. As it stands now, the current law exempts message board operators from liability from copyright violations posted by members. However, creating a spot that encourages people to violate copyright laws would imperil that exemption.

Not every posting of copyrighted material is a copyright violation. There is a "fair use" doctrine that allows such postings for educational or newsworthy items. Also, not everything is copyrighted. Much is already in the public domain or released under creative commons.

By the way, if you merely post a link to the URL where the copyrighted picture is posted, that is not a copyright violation. What you are really doing is directing a person to the place where the copyright owner has published his stuff. That is how the internet works. It basically creates a window on a web page that looks through the internet to the place where the image is published by the copyright owner.

Most copyright violations go uncontested, because they are expensive to litigate and the winner has to show monetary damages. Most of what is ripped off has no commercial value, hence no monetary damages.

Más vale pocos pelos, pero bien peinados.
(04-06-2012, 01:57 PM)Fulano Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 01:18 PM)paperthin Wrote: Fulano,

Well, it's possible. But I see no reason to do it. If somebody posts something they think may be a copyright violation, I do not want to be a part of it. As it stands now, the current law exempts message board operators from liability from copyright violations posted by members. However, creating a spot that encourages people to violate copyright laws would imperil that exemption.

Not every posting of copyrighted material is a copyright violation. There is a "fair use" doctrine that allows such postings for educational or newsworthy items. Also, not everything is copyrighted. Much is already in the public domain or released under creative commons.

By the way, if you merely post a link to the URL where the copyrighted picture is posted, that is not a copyright violation. What you are really doing is directing a person to the place where the copyright owner has published his stuff. That is how the internet works. It basically creates a window on a web page that looks through the internet to the place where the image is published by the copyright owner.

Most copyright violations go uncontested, because they are expensive to litigate and the winner has to show monetary damages. Most of what is ripped off has no commercial value, hence no monetary damages.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, what I meant was *my* copyrighted content.

A private thread would prevent others from violating my copyrights.

(04-06-2012, 02:03 PM)paperthin Wrote: Sorry for the misunderstanding, what I meant was *my* copyrighted content.

No it won't. Most search engines will go right into a private thread and grab images. The only surefire way to prevent copyright violations is to pursue them with demands to cease and desist, and a lawsuit if they don't. Of course, that would cost more than the value of the copyrighted images.

The other way it to put a watermark on the images, like this:

[Image: final-result.jpg]

(04-06-2012, 02:24 PM)Fulano Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 02:03 PM)paperthin Wrote: Sorry for the misunderstanding, what I meant was *my* copyrighted content.

No it won't. Most search engines will go right into a private thread and grab images. The only surefire way to prevent copyright violations is to pursue them with demands to cease and desist, and a lawsuit if they don't. Of course, that would cost more than the value of the copyrighted images.

The other way it to put a watermark on the images, like this:

[Image: final-result.jpg]

Oh well. It sounds like too much trouble. I wouldn't know anything about it.

(04-06-2012, 02:39 PM)paperthin Wrote: Oh well. It sounds like too much trouble. I wouldn't know anything about it.

LOL, I still remember you from 4 years ago on BajaNomads. I've seen your glamor photos, which are very good, by the way.
Wink