Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Breakers a dud in Rosarito
I don't see any Güeros.
Más vale pocos pelos, pero bien peinados.
You can never go back. Sad.
We have met the enemy and he is us. -  Pogo
Once upon a time.

I've absurd humor. So, sorry guys if I make bad jokes. I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of streaking down the empty street shouting, "Spring Break!"

My humor is bad, I know. This morning after I woke up, I told my girlfriend while I embraced her, "The dinner you made last night was muy rico. It was really good. It was much better than the sex we had."

"Pinche guero!"
“How, unless you drink as I do, could you hope to understand the beauty of an old Indian woman playing dominoes with a chicken?” -- Malcolm Lowry, Under the Volcano
(04-14-2014, 05:31 PM)Fulano Wrote: I don't see any Güeros.

none. I'd give up on the white tourists for a decade or so and covert the existing downtown tourist zone facilities to appeal to Mexican families. Start over with the brick and mortar remains of what was once a vibrant tourist economy.
BajaNoMas= News, Facts, Stats, Videos, Pics and Links- because presenting the truth to the public is not a negative campaign "Decir la verdad no es ninguna campaña negra".
(04-14-2014, 07:33 PM)Woooosh Wrote:

none. I'd give up on the white tourists for a decade or so and covert the existing downtown tourist zone facilities to appeal to Mexican families. Start over with the brick and mortar remains of what was once a vibrant tourist economy.

Does it even feel like a community anymore? Or have all the small family shops been chased out of town?
“How, unless you drink as I do, could you hope to understand the beauty of an old Indian woman playing dominoes with a chicken?” -- Malcolm Lowry, Under the Volcano
(04-14-2014, 10:16 PM)tlalocs Wrote:
(04-14-2014, 07:33 PM)Woooosh Wrote:

Does it even feel like a community anymore? Or have all the small family shops been chased out of town?
The small family shops and businesses did not get chased out, they simply could not compete with WalMart, Home Depot and Smart & Final. The restaurants that catered to gringos and even hosted language classes have gone (like Casa La Manitas) with the gringos. My neighbors say the neighborhood crime is very bad- even with Captain Montero here. They say he is hiring back the corrupt police who were invloved in the kidnappings under an old administration (Mathias). They are vocally apathetic and say things just never get better. What is heartbreaking is Rosarito Beach was so close to "making it" eight years ago. Now it is a study of what can go wrong.
BajaNoMas= News, Facts, Stats, Videos, Pics and Links- because presenting the truth to the public is not a negative campaign "Decir la verdad no es ninguna campaña negra".
Woosh- Looking back, do you wish you built your home of the year in a different location in Rosarito?
(04-15-2014, 10:00 AM)Tijuanero No Mas Wrote: Woosh- Looking back, do you wish you built your home of the year in a different location in Rosarito?

Not at all. It is one of the nicer neighborhoods actually. The mistake was building it in Mexico. Everything looked promising for Baja at the time we did it. We didn't want to be in a gated community but were weren't expecting to be surrounded by gang bangers, deportees and white trash. Once the gringos bailed out and left their homes for sale- rents plummeted, they moved here and the place went to shit.
Out of everyone I've known of who's been in Mexico, I really feel for you Woooosh. If I had invested so much into Mexico, I would not have handled it as well as you. I hope you get a fair shake on your sell.
(04-16-2014, 06:18 PM)tlalocs Wrote: Out of everyone I've known of who's been in Mexico, I really feel for you Woooosh. If I had invested so much into Mexico, I would not have handled it as well as you. I hope you get a fair shake on your sell.

Don't worry Tlalocs, we're just fine. Better than fine actually. We were young enough with the financial resources to switch gears and spend time back in the USA too. "Never invest more in Baja than you are willing to walk away from". I do feel for the expats who are "stuck" and for the Mexican people who have become culturally apathetic to Mexico making progress in their lifetimes- especially when things are still trending downward. There is always someone who wants an award winning house and it's highly unlikely we would lose money when we sell; we will probably get a much better return than the stock market. So it's all good, but thanks for the empathy. I do like building, enjoying and ultimately selling interesting houses. Living in Mexico was quite educational and I understand why Mexicans risk their lives to get out of Mexico and why the ones already in the USA make little effort to go back home to improve it.