“Pico De Gallo” translates as rooster’s beak.
- Tomatoes – use meaty ones line Romas or plum tomatoes.
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Jalapeño – about one-half of the chile shown will produce a moderately spicy salsa. If you like mild, substitute a bell pepper.
- Onion – one-half of a medium size onion.
- Cilantro – about one-half of the bunch shown will do.
- Salt – start with one teaspoon, then adjust to taste when you are finished.
- Lemon juice – you can also substitute lime juice. Juice from one lemon/lime is enough. Aside from adding flavor, the citric acid is a natural preservative and the salsa will store much longer in the refrigerator.
Toss everything into a food processor. Don’t process too long, you want a coarse texture. The actual total preparation time was 5 minutes. Here are the results: